DCI Boss Kinoti has said that all perpetrators of 2007/2008 P.E.V must be brought to book , even 13 years after the fact.
Kinoti was speaking at the DCI headquarters in Kiambu County after receiving statements from some of the Victims over intimidation and threats.
According to the DCI, police have already collected 118 cases from witnesses and complainants which included 48 cases of forceful displacement of people.
A clearly emotional Kinoti recounted horrific scenes that we were witnessed in the country, with a particular focus on the Kiambaa Church Massacre and the sexual violence that victims suffered , including gang rape cases.
“Go and see the number of children who were burnt. Who were left like pieces of wood…like charcoal, old people who could not walk and were escorted to the hideout were burnt,” he said, as he recounted statements he had heard earlier from witnesses.
Kinoti promised a water tight case , and promised the victims that violence would not be perpetrated against them ever again. Telling off those who were questioning his motive for opening the case , Kinoti said that criminal cases were always open until the perpetrators are brought to book and justice is served.
“There are no criminal cases which are closed. They are [live] throughout their lifespan. Have you seen cases of robberies, murders of 15 to 20 years being prosecuted?” he posed.
When asked to reveal the regions where the victims came from , Kinoti declined saying he was not interested in profiling anyone from any region as the issue was directed to all Kenyans.
The DCI Boss also said that no one should expect the cases to be moved to an international court , as Kenyan prosecuters and Courts had the capacity to try the cases and convict those who were found culpable.
The re-opening of the case has opened up new political war front with DP Ruto’s allies stating that the revival of the cases seemed politically motivated to stop Ruto’s bid for the Presidency.
Uasin Gishu Maandago was among the first of the leaders to call out the DCI and warned him not to incite citizens of the Uasin Gishu as they had decided to live together in peace.
“As the Governor of this county , I want to state categorically that we as the people of this County we are absolutely peaceful. As County Government we are not aware of any threats that have been issued against anybody. As the Governor , I am not aware of any land being occupied by anyone forcefully.”
There has been a revival of the 2007/2008 debate ever since DP Ruto’s lawyer surrendered himself to the ICC over an outstanding warrant that had been issued against him.
Gicheru was accused of interfering with PEV witnesses who testified in the case against Deputy President William Ruto and radio journalist Joshua Arap Sang.
However, on November 6, 2020, Gicheru pleaded not guilty to the charges.
“I do not intend to admit the charges under Article 65. The allegations read out to me are not true. They are false. All six of them are false,” he told the Court.